So there are many ways to create room for your project of creating your own home office in a closet. Then you simply can close the closet door on your workplace whenever you have overnight guests. While your best closet choice in terms of size and distance may be the one by the front entrance, all of the visitors in and out of your house may be too distracting.
- A rolling cart can hold office supplies and store files, based on your needs.
- You will want to get the measurements of each stud along the back and side walls and mark these on the shelf.
- With limited space, you don’t want your home office to look small and cramped.
- “If you have the opportunity to create a closet office across from a window, take it!” Patterson says.
- Pull a chair into your new office and pretend to work for a bit before you start your closet to office conversion.
convert closet to offices situated in living areas also change easily into trendy office nooks. Even if you currently use these spaces for storage, then it’s not too difficult to find another location for your stuff. “You can never have too much storage space in your home,” says Kimberly Jay, a broker at Compass. She explains that buyers are always checking for closet space — and the more, the better. But if you do have both walk-in closets and additional closets (the dream, right?), and you don’t have an office, it could be a value-add to convert your space. Weinstein says, “Purchase a bulletin board, dry erase board, or cork board to hang on the door.
Ideas for Converting Your Extra Closet Into an Office, Mudroom & More
Secure the bottom of the cabinets by driving a nail or screw down into the ledger. Finish the front edge of the plywood shelves with iron-on edge banding. Then nail one edge of the plywood back to the cabinet side. Drop the top into place and attach it from underneath with 2-1/2-in. Draw vertical lines to indicate the sides of the cabinets.
Is a walk-in closet considered living space?
Any space that has walls, flooring, ceiling and heat would count as finished square footage. So, it's likely that stairwells, closets, walk-in pantries and other areas you might be questioning would contribute to the square footage count of a home.
You should already have the measurement of the longest wall from hanging the horizontal board, but don’t forget to account for the thickness of the lattice moulding. If you need to keep a secure filing system, you’ll require a cabinet that also will fit in. Make sure that you also can open the drawers if your officed desk has a cabinet attached. This is especially important if you plan to put your desk into a corner of your closet.
Go for a drop-down desk
I have the excess extension cord gathered with a cable tie and hung under the bottom of the desk. Use an awl or your drill to make a pilot hole in the drywall that is slightly smaller than the end of the drywall anchor so it’s snug. The anchors should line up with the holes you already made in the 1 x 2.
If so, you can use it to keep your cloffice tidy… just like Jennifer Gizzi of Making Pretty Spaces did! This cloffice is outfitted with shelving from The Container Store’s Elfa collection, which you can mix and match to suit your space. There’s even a little printer shelf tucked underneath the desktop for easy access. While the wall is drying, cut and paint the 1×8 pine board to serve as a floating shelf at the top of the board & batten.
He suggests sconces for hall closets as they will give you both ambient and task lighting, and will also keep your desk area clear for more workspace. She points to peel-and-stick wallpaper such as WallPops for big impact in a small space. She suggests wallpapering the inside of the closet, including the door, for a chic and interesting workspace.
- Add framed artwork or photos and decorative accents like vases and collectibles to show off your personality.
- A great idea is to have a small automatic scanner to scan all documents that come in.
- Just because your office is in a closet doesn’t mean you have to skimp on stylish touches like sconces, shiplap, and an area rug.
- We’re not showing how to wire your closet office here, but chances are you’ll want to add at least one electrical outlet and possibly cable, phone or network wiring.
- This is a great opportunity to do some home organization, so donate, recycle, or toss anything that you no longer need, then find an alternate storage spot for everything else.
If you have a spare closet and a free weekend, you may have an office waiting to happen. According to this how-to at Country Living, transforming a closet into a beautiful workspace is as simple as wallpapering, painting, and installing a few simple key components. The most complex part of the transformation is the desk, constructed of two filing cabinets and a pre-made melamine desktop. These top 40 best closet office ideas are proof of man’s brilliance when tasked with a seemingly insurmountable conundrum.